Sunday, May 30, 2010

A day in the life of a Pinecone.

A day in the life of a Pinecone
Inspired by Parker Robinson
“I need some pinecone drama…”


Most often my gaze is found set on this soil,
so dark, and soft, and rich, this soil.
The sun heats it all the day to warm me through the night,
and feeds my tall friends to keep them growing up right.

How I long to be planted deep into this ground,
some water from Mother Earth sure to rid me of my frown.
I would send my roots down deep like all healthy trees do,
creating a foundation that would always hold me through.
My trunk upward would grow like a strong center piece,
extending out my branches towards the sun to feast.

Protection is what I’d offer to those all around,
from the harshness of nature, with my roots in the ground.
Calming the winds as they violently pass,
whilst offering shade to those below on the grass.
I’d be a provider, to all those in need,
A patriarch of the forest is what I wish to be.

But instead of the greatness that I was intended for,
I sit on the ground ever wishing for more.
I’ve fallen from my branch where up high I once grew,
to the earth below where I found others here too.
My dream to be planted was put on delay,
when I was kicked to the side walk instead of in clay.

I wish for the soil that will allow me to sprout,
but with each passing day enters only more doubt.
No one cares for a pinecone or the potential within,
so I sit here and rot - wasting life is a sin!

Why can’t it be me that destiny will choose?!
I’ve played my part – I’d never refuse!

Come off your high horse, and help a pinecone in need,
get me off this cement slab and back by my tree!
No longer fertile for time has passed me by,
at least let me decay where I first fell from the sky.

I no longer wish to be kicked all around,
or thrown about by children – just leave me on the ground!
I’m not your toy to be handled this way!
Go find a ball, or some other game to play!


And… though I hate being over looked like this,
I find a simple joy when the schools are dismissed.
For when the kids pass by with grins on their faces,
soon my frown disappears, a smile replaces.

I know that I no longer can become a tree,
all gone unused, the seeds inside of me.
I can however make the best of my badly dealt hand,
even as just a pinecone, stuck here in the sand.

I can appreciate each day that I am still here to see,
sunshine and rain, and the kids that play with me.
At least some purpose, I can manage to fulfill
decorating the park ground, a masterful skill.

Each time the sun fades and the night comes around,
I’ll listen for chirping crickets, and doze off to their sound.
Another day gone by, now some rest for me,
and even if only in my dreams, turn into a pine tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment