Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Jacob Lake Inn


When I woke up in the morning Aunt Marla had gone to her kick boxing class. Bekah came up from downstairs and starting cooking crepes for breakfast. We listened to Michael Buble and danced around the kitchen a bit. Hannah and I did a country two step. I loaded up the last of my things and got Bekah’s birthday present out of the car. Several weeks ago she had mentioned that she wanted a new set of scriptures for Christmas. She knew however that it was highly unlikely that they would come because they were rather expensive and Santa was taking their family to Disneyland. I did some research/undercover work and found out that she wanted the compact size with a button, color burgundy. I asked her mother if she knew if anyone else was planning on getting Bekah new scriptures. She didn’t believe so, so I told her not to let anyone because I was going to. One thing that I wasn’t quite sure about was what to print on the front. Because girls have to change their name when they get married… I didn’t know if you left the last name blank until they do? Or what? And I was hoping that Bekah wouldn’t be a Hintze for too much longer. Aunt Marla calmed my soul by suggesting that her maiden name Hintze go on the front, and that she can put a plate over it should arise the need. I wasn’t quite ready to give it to her so I set it on the counter, slightly hidden next to a few other things. Aunt Marla returned while I was out of the room – maybe I was getting my camera from the car. She saw the scripture box on the counter and asked if I had given her her birthday present yet. “What my I Kiss Better Than I Cook sign? Yeah he gave it to me for graduation.” Aunt Marla bit her lip and quickly changed the subject. I returned with my camera and started saying my goodbyes. I told Bekah that since I wasn’t going to be there for her Birthday the following day, that I would have to give her her present then. I picked up the box and handed it to her. Bekah looked at the box in shock. “David are you serious! These are expensive!” I jokingly said not to worry about it, that it was just the box. She looked at me for a moment not knowing whether to believe me or not. She opened the box and saw her name inscripted in gold letters on her brand new set of burgundy compact leather scriptures, with a button snap. Her eyes welled up with tears and she gave me a big hug.

Every time I leave the Hintze neighborhood I seem to get turned around. I always end up going the wrong direction. However – after several attempts, I am getting better about correcting my mistakes. I made it back to the freeway and headed south for Arizona. A few miles down the road Bekah sent me a text thanking me once again for the gift. By now she had read the letter I left in the front cover. “David you made me cry. I don’t deserve it. Thank you so so so much. I love you!”

I made it to JL in about 7 hours. I ate a famous Six Dollar Burger from Carl’s Junior along the way. When I entered the lodge I was treated as a customer. “Welcome to Jacob Lake, if you need anything just let me know.” I asked the lady behind the counter for whoever was in charge - ‘That’s me.’ Oh hi! I’m David, I’m really hoping that you’re expecting me… She smiled and welcomed me to the Lodge. I was introduced to everyone and given the grand tour. They put me in a room with a queen sized bed and a door right to the parking lot. Afterwards they said that I had the night to bring my stuff in and set up my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment